[ExI] former exi poster is smiling

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 22:11:15 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 1:12 PM, Dylan Distasio <interzone at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> we certainly do NOT know that Assange got his info from Russia.

​The NSA the FBI  the CIA and all other intelligence agencies in the USA
say it was Russia, Trump says a mysterious 400 pound man sitting on a bed
is the one who stole the E-mails. So who should we believe? Well let's see,
in his first 10 months in office Trump told 6 times as many lies as Obama
did in 8 years. Trump told 2,140 lies in his first year, that’s  5.9 lies a
day or or one lie every 3 waking hours. And these are just the lies told in
public, the number of lies he told in private is probably 10 times that
number:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/14/opinion/sunday/trump-lies-
obama-who-is-worse.html

​> ​
>  former NSA official believes there is evidence of an inside job at the
> DNC which was published in a liberal publication, The Nation.  I would
> strongly suggest reading the entire article before blaming the DNC hack on
> a Russian bugaboo.

​
And just a week after that article was published
​in ​
The Nation
​the magazine ​
started
​having​
 second
​thoughts​
 about the accuracy of
​what it said​
 and
​so ordered
 a "post-publication editorial review". This is what they concluded:

“As part of the editing process we should have made certain that several of
the article’s conclusions were presented as possibilities, not as
certainties. And given the technical complexity of the material, we would
have benefited from bringing on an independent expert to conduct a rigorous
review of the VIPS technical claims.
​

​After the fact they did hired just such a independent technical expert and
he said if the publication didn't want to be embarrassed again with another
bad article they

​"​
must exercise much greater care in separating out statements backed by
available digital metadata from thoughtful insights and educated guesses.
Walking nontechnical readers down any narrative path that cannot be
directly supported by evidence must be avoided. At this point, given the
limited available data, certainty about only a very small number of things
can be achieved.
​"​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2017/
09/01/the-nation-issues-editors-note-on-story-questioning-whether-the-dnc-
was-hacked/?utm_term=.db1e62ea8153

> ​> ​
> The data was transferred too quickly for it to have been remotely.  This
> is a matter of public record:
> ​ ​
> Forensicator’s first decisive findings, made public in the paper dated
> July 9, concerned the volume of the supposedly hacked material and what is
> called the transfer rate—the time a remote hack would require. The metadata
> established several facts in this regard with granular precision: On the
> evening of July 5, 2016, 1,976 megabytes of data were downloaded from the
> DNC’s server. The operation took 87 seconds. This yields a transfer rate of
> 22.7 megabytes per second.These statistics are matters of record and
> essential to disproving the hack theory. No Internet service provider, such
> as a hacker would have had to use in mid-2016, was capable of downloading
> data at this speed.

​
That's pretty fast, faster than what most home users would be willing to
pay for but not out of reach of large national organizations
​
like the DNC or Russian intelligence services. Xfinity
​
offers a
​
100 Mbps
​
connection for
​
 $90 per month
and
​
 a 2-Gbps connection for $225 per month
​
. I think Hillary Clinton
​
could afford that when she was running for president of the richest country
in the world. I think Vladimir Putin
​
could afford it too.
.

> “A speed of 22.7 megabytes is simply unobtainable, especially if we are
> talking about a transoceanic data transfer,”

Why are we talking about
​ ​
transoceanic data transfer
​? If the Russian intelligence agencies had any brains, and they do, they'd
want to get in and out as quickly as possible to avoid detection, so they'd
download it to some local server and encrypt it, then they could transfer
it to Trump's buddy
Vladimir
​ ​in the
Kremlin