[ExI] Update on the Hawaiian observatory shutdown

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 16:38:38 UTC 2019

I heard decades ago that wool doesn’t burn.  A few months ago, the same day
I was testing that burning lint experiment (which I posted about here) I
tried wool and discovered it is true.  As soon as you take away the heat
source, the wool fails to sustain a flame.  spike

But maybe you are wrong.  Long ago I took a tip from an artist and created
a textural effect on pine wood by burning it with an acetylene torch.  It
takes the soft wood out and leaves the grain.  Beautiful.  Then you brush
it, and put lots of Johnson's wax on it and buff it with a machine.  I have
built several things like that including an 8" x 12' book case.  However, I
learned to my astonishment that that torch would not start a fire on the
untreated wood.  Hitting the oxygen button to blow out the burned parts
yielded a brief flame which extinguished when I removed the torch.  I still
wonder about that.  If you can't start a fire with a torch on soft wood,
what does it take?

BTW - 38" length?  Koreans?  27" waist?  Nah.  You must have been kidding.
That would make them about 6' 9" on average.   bill w

bill w

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 11:20 AM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <