[ExI] access consciousness

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 22:29:18 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019, 3:51 PM John Clark via extropy-chat <

> My pet peeve is the move to change the term for a smart computer from AI
> to AGI. Everybody knows what AI means but if somebody uses a unfamiliar
> term like AGI you may think they're talking about Adjusted Gross Income and
> become hopelessly confused and wonder what the hell that has to do with the
> future of computing.

You're still on about that?

This is silly as arguing they shouldn't be called "devices" because they're
already called "phones" (or "cell phones" for those dinosaurs) - yeah,
they're in the same family but the distinction evolved because there is
some nuance the old moniker fails to capture.   In the phone/ device
example you probably didn't have a browser or games/apps on your "flip
phone" but those are assumed features of your "device" (which also includes
tablets/etc/ whatever)

You are also smart enough to use context to know machine learning nerds
aren't discussing Adjusted Gross Income. Even if you aren't familiar with
an acronym,  you can educate yourself on the meaning and context in far
less effort than it takes to contain about how one word has always been
sufficient for your discussion on the topic so there is no need to adopt
new.

Now, you did refer to it as a peeve so maybe you don't feel as strongly
about it as all that... but I've often wondered why you dig your heels in
there and not in so many other language developments in other domains.
*shrug* y'know?