[ExI] access consciousness

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 22:32:43 UTC 2019

All good points about “access consciousness” vs “sensation” and “AI” vs
“AGI”.  That’s why at Canonizer.com we always work to build and track the
current consensus around the best terms to use, and we use whatever that
is.  Also, many terms like “red” and “access” are problematic because they
are ambiguous.  You can’t tell if ‘red’ is a label for the physical
properties of a target of perception, like a strawberry, or knowledge of
the same, the final result of perception.  So, we define two words: “red”
for the initial and “redness” for the final.  Currently AI is very narrow,
not general.  So, in at least in some cases, you need two words so one can
distinguish between these two.

Finally, with Access, you can’t tell if Ned Block or others are talking
about having immediate conscious awareness access to something, like
redness, as a quality of knowledge of a strawberry.  Or are they referring
to any of the near infinite memories and things like “red is a warm color”,
and the name “red, or anything else one has “access” to.  You obviously
aren’t thinking of all of these at once, though you have access to, or an
ability to bring them all into the phenomenal computationally bound CPU
system that is conscious awareness.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 3:30 PM Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat <