[ExI] The Thirty Meter Telescope is now officially dead

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 14:27:58 UTC 2019

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 8:43 PM ddraig at pobox.com <ddraig at gmail.com> wrote:

*> Are you stupid? *

I don't know, it could be. Stupid people generally don't know they're
stupid, but if I am stupid I'm certainly not as stupid as the mob that
ILLEGALLY blocked the only road up that mountain to prevent the most
wonderful telescope in the world from being built. I'm not as stupid as
those who feel it is their duty to stick up for that mindless mob either.

*>  am I wasting my time with this guy?*

Yes. So will you go away now?

*> What you ARE willing to do is to cut out the next line (there were,
> what, 3 of them in total?) where I said I agree with you.*

That line was about property rights and implied that landowners have the
right to do whatever they want with their land including not allowing
telescopes to be built there. I cut off that line because I did not wish to
debate it, and I did not wish to debate it because it is IRRELEVANT. Every
court decision has ruled that the mob does NOT own that land. Of course in
the end the law and court decisions proved to be irrelevant too.

And in no shape way or form do you agree with me. Every defender of that
evil ignorant anti-science anti-enlightenment mob has the same basic
mantra, "it would be nice if the telescope could be built *BUT* ..."

*> So you understand that it's apolitcal problem, not a sceince problem (or
> a legal problem, it seems).*

I understand it's a criminal problem, and I understand that the criminals
have won.

> >> If they had not that telescope would be generating new knowledge about
>> the universe for the entire human race right now, but that didn't happen
>> because the mob successfully transmitted their ignorance worshiping meme.
>>

> *> Welcome to politics.*

That's not politics that's just crime. And I do NOT welcome the ignorance
worshiping meme that infected the mob even if I grudgingly admire its skill
at rapid reproduction. I don't welcome people who feel it is their duty to
defend those infected with that meme eother.

>>The P word implies the rule of law
>>

> >*No, it does not at all.  The American Revolution was illegal. *

Illegal under one set of laws and legal or even mandatory under other sets.
The very first thing the American Revolutionaries did was set up their own
laws and build gallows so they could hang people who violated those rules,
it's the same with every revolution. But the only law the mob on that
mountain follows is "if I say I own something then I own it and it doesn't
matter what you or the courts or anybody else says about it".

> *> I feel I am missing something here. *

 Led you to the truth your instinctive feelings have Padawan.

> *I generally lurk on this list and don't read it that often*

I think such a long tradition should be honored and continue.

 John K Clark