[ExI] ideas for ted

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 17:14:02 UTC 2019

If by 'diversified curriculum' you mean one that addresses the aptitude
level of each student and fits them (notice use of plural to avoid he or
she - becoming popular) in slots where they can succeed, then that will be
fine. A student should have some direction to take as early as 9th grade or
maybe even before that.

Define the need for the basic classes:  those who will be shunted to
plumbing or car repair will not be taking algebra, unless elective.  Or
maybe one class to see how they do, but certainly not as a graduation
requirement for most students.  Question the need for multiple literature
classes (I think more grammar and vocabulary would do average people better
than MiddleMarch and Chaucer, much as I love literature).

I would do a bit of research on split classes, or whatever the jargon is
for them - tracts, maybe.  I would find out if the only reason they are not
done is simply the need for more teachers.  My high school teacher friend
says that people who are trained for the upper and the lower levels are
nearly absent.  Just putting a very bright student on a computer and
telling them to go to an advanced class online is taking them away from
teacher/student relationships.

You might consider looking at research trying to divine what jobs are going
to be popular and which are disappearing.

Include a lot of testing and counseling.  We have to know who and what they
are before we can decide what to do with them.  Preferably do this around
the 7th grade.  Aptitude and achievement tests for all.

Include a lot of research on results of various special programs put in
experimentally.

I may have more later.  But what a great honor!  Just who do you know?

bill w