[ExI] remarkable study

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri May 17 16:43:03 UTC 2019

### There is a hypothesis that the absence of diverse nutrients in diet
drives hunger even when caloric needs are met (the empty calories
hypothesis).

Long ago I saw a study and have not seen the like since.  It had toddlers
as Ss,  One group fed themselves from a selection of options,  The other
was fed by hand.  The first group could choose a balanced diet or eat plums
all the time (but they carefully monitored the intake and no toddler ever
got so deficient in some nutrient that they had to step in and do
something).

The group that fed themselves never got deficient in anything and outgained
the control group by a couple of pounds.  It was noted that when some
nutrient, say vitamin C, was being ignored by the toddlers and they needed
vitamin C, they started eating something with that nutrient.  Somehow they
could identify what nutrient they needed and presumably developed an
increased taste for the available foods that had it, and then left it when
they had corrected the coming deficiency.

I assume this ability got smothered by several things:  first, the parents
don't put out  a balanced diet for them to choose from.  Second, learned
likes and dislikes overwhelmed that ability to choose properly.  So by the
time they were much older the innate/instinctual (?) abilities to eat
balanced diets were lost or outvoted.

bill w