[ExI] it's your choice

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 19:23:08 UTC 2020

 On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 7:58 AM David McFadzean <davidmc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Keith Henson via extropy-chat
>
> >> But most of us have ancestors from all over.
>
> > If you intend "us* to mean humans, I doubt it.  The vast majority of
> > Chinese are not of mixed origin.  Neither are most of the Europeans.
>
> You may be surprised to learn that the identical ancestors point is only 5000-15000 years ago.

Good point but the selection events leading to the present economic
divergence and races are not that far back, perhaps 1000 years for the
UK and 2-3000 for China.

Though it is not much discussed, there must have been considerable
psychological selection when farming was developed starting around
12,000 years ago.  The difference in psychological traits between
farmers and hunter-gathers is considerable.

It's really interesting that the Chinese can be sorted by observation
into those with ancestors who grew rice and those who grew wheat.

Keith