[ExI] prisons

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 17:48:36 UTC 2020

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 2:15 AM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 10:50 PM Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 7:11 PM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <

>>> ### A increased threat of being killed (by homeowners indemnified for
>>> shooting invaders, or by automated security devices, or by constables
>>> identifying you from security or traffic camera footage or by the hangman
>>> after a quick trial) would be an inducement to commit more violence, rather
>>> than back down?
>>>
>>> How would that inducement to violence work, precisely?
>>>

>> Destroy the cameras and kill all witnesses.  It's one thing if they're
>> just going to jail, but if they will probably die if they leave anyone or
>> anything that would recognize them, the cost of such destruction becomes
>> worth it in more cases.
>>

> ### Well, destroying *all* cameras? That's a tall order, mechanically,
> whenever premises are protected by hidden or cloud-connected cameras. If
> destroying cameras is easy, they would do it even if not threatened with
> death. If it's difficult - they won't burglarize, knowing they will die for
> their crime.

Their perceived choices:
* Burgle but don't destroy, get caught, and die.
* Don't burgle, starve, and die.  (This is almost always a false perception
- there are many other ways to not starve - but it is what they believe.)
* Burgle and be as destructive as possible, leaving no witnesses mechanical
or living, and don't die.

Pillaging - thorough destruction - is remarkably easy, if one is committed
to destruction as one's only choice for survival.

> I would like to have the option of killing burglars who invade my house,
> or having them killed by hired enforcers, without fear of prosecution

You have that option today, if you are bloody minded enough.  Just make
sure to kill them all, and that all surviving witnesses will agree there
was the perception of a threat that merited deadly force in response.
Should the burglar escape wounded - or should some burglars escape while
others in the same burglary die - then the escapees may sue.