[ExI] Atheism again

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon Apr 20 15:38:02 UTC 2020

On 19/04/2020 19:46, billw wrote:
> Empiricism is science and its methods and belief has no place in it.
> We don't believe in Darwin's ideas:  we follow them because they are
> the best at predicting and explaining phenomena we study.  Empirical
> facts like the finches.
>
> There is no way a person who is basically an empiricist and another
> who uses authoritarianism and intuition, to have a debate.  They are
> accepting things based on entirely different criteria and so are
> talking at cross purposes.

Thank you, bill w, for putting much more clearly and concisely than I've
been able to do, why religion and transhumanism are not compatible.

This doesn't mean that a religious person can't also be a transhumanist,
or vice-versa, but just as with the civil engineer that Spike was
talking about, they are going to have two incompatible world-views going
on (assuming that 'religious' and 'transhumanist' keep their normal
meanings, as I've discussed before), and just like Spike, I can't really
imagine what kind of mental gymnastics you'd have to go through to
sustain that and not go crazy. In fact, I suspect that 'crazy' is really
the only sensible way to describe such a person.

--
Ben Zaiboc