[ExI] subways, was: RE: A potential COVID-19 vaccine

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 01:21:07 UTC 2020

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 at 11:10, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> An ever-clearer picture of what might be the most important factor in our
> current emergency.
>

> Four US states combined have more Covid-19 cases than the other 46 states
> combined: New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Illinois:
>

> I heard from a friend today who lives in upstate New York, who is very
> annoyed with this statistic.  He explained that it isn’t New York, but
> rather New York New York.
>

> It’s the city doing all this.  They don’t have many cases outside of
> downstate NY.
>

> The four states which are really being hit the hardest all have one thing
> in common: no not that… well that too, but that wasn’t the cause.  The
> likely cause is that all four of those states have metropolis areas
> completely dependent on mass transit.
>

> The other states have metropolis areas, but those can be effectively
> accessed with one’s own car.  Every time I have been in NY, the most
> striking thing is how difficult it is to move around the downtown area in
> your own car.  It is terrifying.  I completely see why they use the subways
> there.
>

> Any area which is completely dependent on subways make it impossible to do
> social distancing.  Result: huge Covid numbers, and tragedy.  They will
> not, or cannot shut down those subways, because those are the arteries and
> veins of the city.
>

> Mass transit was all the rage, such a great deal they told us.  But
> yesterdays solutions are todays problems.
>

> Today, yesterday handed us a doozie.

In Australia, the culprit has been ships and aeroplanes. The highest number
of cases have been in wealthy suburbs in cities, where citizens have a
higher frequency of overseas travel, as well as the cases traced to people
from particular cruise ships. Public transport is still running normally
but usage is down at least 80%, as is usage of private cars.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou