[ExI] Atheism again

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Apr 30 08:02:41 UTC 2020

On 30/04/2020 06:04, Rafal wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 12:51 AM Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat
> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
> <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Keith. I think atheism is, as you say, "a lack of religion rather
>     than a religion" in non-militant atheists. But in those militant
>     atheists who passionately want to convert others, and even more so in
>     those militant atheists who discriminate against believers in academy,
>     culture, media etc., atheism becomes a religion, and of the worst
>     kind.
>

> ### Militant atheism might fill up the god-shaped hole some people
> have in their minds, thus taking the place of religion as a focus of
> social and organized activity, but it still is not a religion. Same
> with communism, environmentalism or social justice - they are mental
> constructs that organize the activity of many people, just like
> religions, but although they may replace religion in their minds, they
> are not religions themselves.

Could anyone who feels the desire to use the term 'militant
atheist/atheism', please at least read this before they do so?

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Militant_atheism

In particular, the part about the term promoting a double-standard?

Derogation is fair enough, but I do object to misrepresentation.

Being outspoken is not militancy. If it were, every church and religious
apologist would be a militant, and it would be more difficult to
distinguish between people who talk a lot about their convictions, and
people who shoot (and bomb, and behead, etc.) a lot about them.

--
Ben Zaiboc