[ExI] Music and (no subject)

robot at ultimax.com robot at ultimax.com
Mon Aug 3 19:41:49 UTC 2020

I disagree with the premise, Ben.  Concluding that other species don't
have music (or specifically a sense of rhythm as you said) just because
we have not observed them tapping their feet (some of them don't have
feet) seems awfully anthropocentric to me.

I would not be surprised if we eventually discover that all cetaceans
and certain songbirds and tropical avians do have music because they
have such an impressive amount of firmware and wetware for audio signal
processing.  If on no other grounds than that beings above a certain
threshold of complexity seem to have a tendency to find "off label" uses
for their capabilities.  (Hence why I cited Keith's post also.)  Felids
have an impressive audio range (coming and going), canids even more so.
For all we know, purring is cat music.  Any blind kitten can distinguish
its mother's purr from a lot of background.  How about howling?  C'mon!

I would expect that communicating across great distances (relative to
body length) or building *some* kind of community confers powerful
advantage and would be selected for.

K3

PS. My ancient lnyx-point Siamese perks up whenever she hears "Jammin'"
(it's what was playing on the car radio when I brought her home from the
pound 16-ish years ago), hence her name Marlie.

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 18:20:52 +0100, Ben Zaiboc <ben at zaiboc.net> wrote,
and Keith Henson posted separately:
> Why are we the only animals that seem to have a sense of rhythm? Many
> animals make noises of various kinds, sometimes even rhythmic sounds,
> but you never see a group of animals getting into a groove the way
> humans do.
>
> I've never seen a dog tapping its paw or nodding along to a piece of
> music, and even birds that seem to be doing this are oddities (and I
> suspect they're not really doing this at all, but just mimicking
> humans), and on their own. There's no other species that has a musical
> sense, that I know about. The odd thing is, I can't see any advantage
> that it confers, and even if it is a spandrel, as John suggests, what
> other advantageous trait could it be a result of? I can't think of
> anything. So where did it come from? Even other primates don't seem to
> have anything approaching it. Are there any documented instances of a
> bunch of chimps banging sticks on trees in a coordinated (and
> infectious) way, for instance? Anything like that? Even co-ordinated
> dancing? I've not heard of any.
>
> Any ideas?

and

> Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 11:42:34 -0700
> From: Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>
> To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
> Subject: [ExI] (no subject)
[snip]
> I know of no other way for the trait of being susceptible to religion
> to come about except evolutionary selection.  If you can think of any
> other way we got this trait, I would be very interested.
[snip]