[ExI] Music and (no subject)

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 20:04:53 UTC 2020

Actually, I recall reading about the ability of other animals to recognize melodies as units (especially when shifted in register and timbre). This is testable, and it seems like cats, dogs, other apes, and many species of birds lack this ability. If memory serves, parrots seem to have this ability too. (One theory behind this is it helps with communication since humans vary much in size and have complex vocal patterns. You saying a common word sounds different than someone who is bigger or smaller or older or younger. Of course, the problem here would be size ranges in other animals with vocal abilities seems not always to be narrow.)

By the way, not sure why no one brought up wolves which tend to howl in unison and in response. (Dogs sometimes do that too. A few local dogs howl along when emergency service trucks go by with their alarms blaring.;)

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst