[ExI] Music

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 12:10:01 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020, 6:46 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> My main question, though, is What is it about? Why do we have music in
> the first place? That to me is a complete mystery.
>
> Mentioning other animals is just by contrast. Speculation aside, we have
> no evidence that any other animal has a musical sense.

What evidence do you need?

Is a cockatiel head bobbing with heavy baseline sufficient evidence,  or
does a nonhuman have to compose original music that you recognize as
rhythmically pleasing?

I guess my question is about how human self-centered awareness is overcome
to even recognize nonhuman cognition, including less tangible ability like
musical sense.