[ExI] sturgis rolls on

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 20:09:52 UTC 2020

On Aug 8, 2020, at 11:42 AM, Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> Quoting Spike:
>

>> There is a risk that if there is a huge outbreak at Sturgis, those bikers
>> come from every state in the union and they will be riding back home next
>> week.  We science-minded sorts will get some fresh useful data in a coupla
>> weeks from tens of thousands of mine-canaries on bikes.
>
> I am hardly surprised, since per capita motorcycle fatalities in 2017 were 59.34 per 100,000. This is more than the fatality rate of COVID-19 here in the U.S. which is 47.9 per 100,000.
>
> https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-motorcycle-crashes
> https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/08/05/899365887/charts-how-the-u-s-ranks-on-covid-19-deaths-per-capita-and-by-case-count
>
> The lifestyle/hobby of bikers is more dangerous than the coronavirus so for them, COVID-19 is just a spicy cold. As long as the bikers stay out nursing homes, everything should be fine. Sturgis is just for a few days long and then they will return to their home states and contribute to herd-immunity. The longer the lockdown continues, the more people will develop obesity, diabetes, and other underlying conditions that render them susceptible to the virus as well as put them more at risk of death in general. And if allowed to continue for too long, the lockdown could wind up killing more people than the virus in the long run. Factor in the stress from job-loss, evictions, poverty, depression, suicide, and homelessness and the lockdown itself become a public health nightmare. The virus only kills the susceptible. The lockdown, on the other hand, is killing everybody.
>
> The sooner we put this pandemic behind us by way herd-immunity, vaccination, or mass civil-disobedience, the better.
>
> Stuart LaForge

A 23% difference in death rate doesn’t seem like the difference between normal and spicy cold to me. They’re almost comparable rates. So, if all bikers were to get the virus and die at that rate from it, it would almost double their death rate.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst