[ExI] atheists/religion

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 13:28:13 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 5:08 AM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <

>> I've heard various arguments that suggest religion confers some sort of
>> evolutionary advantage but I've never found them to be very convincing;
>>

> *> ### The ancient Greeks lost faith in their gods, started murdering
> their children, especially their daughters. They got conquered by the
> ancient Romans, *

Yes but conquered or not Greeks still exist today. Evolution doesn't care about
who has conquered who, it just cares about who gets more genes into the
next generation, so Evolutionarily speaking a sniveling coward could be
much more successful than a great fearless hero.

> *The Romans lost faith in their gods, started killing their children and
> soon the Vandals had their way with the leftovers, for lack of legions.*

And yet Romans, just like the Greeks, did not go extinct.

> *Or take those Iranians - from 6 children per devout Muslima 50 years ago
> to 1 point something per faithless modern Iranian girl.*

I don't think that has much to do with religion.

John K Clark