[ExI] What are everyone's life extension strategies?

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 14:40:46 UTC 2020

Gabe, thanks for sharing your list.  I'm going to look at it in detail when
I have a chance.

Bill-

I am NOT a doctor, so you do need to do your own due diligence, but as I've
mentioned on list before, one of the pharmaceutical interventions I take
for potential anti-aging benefits is pulsed rapamycin (meaning I take it
once a week in an attempt to avoid undesirable side effects).  It has a
fairly long half life, so the argument can be made that pulsing it makes
sense for a few reasons.

Anyways, I'm bringing it up again because there is enough animal evidence
that it reverses an enlarged heart (hypertrophy) for it to be worth
considering for you in addition to the other potential benefits.  In fact,
the doctor who prescribed it for me is an elderly gentleman who decided to
take it for an enlarged heart after he noticed trouble walking up a hill he
had not had problems with in the past.   Anecdotally, he has had very good
success with it.  Here are a few animal studies on it:

Abstract
Rapamycin, also known as sirolimus, is an antifungal agent and
immunosuppressant drug used to prevent organ rejection in transplantation.
However, little is known about the role of rapamycin in cardiac hypertrophy
and the signaling pathways involved. Here, the effect of rapamycin was
examined using phenylephrine (PE) induced cardiomyocyte hypertrophy in
vitro and in a rat model of aortic banding (AB) - induced hypertrophy in
vivo. Inhibition of MEK/ERK signaling reversed the effect of rapamycin on
the up-regulation of LC3-II, Beclin-1 and Noxa, and the down-regulation of
Mcl-1 and p62. Silencing of Noxa or Beclin-1 suppressed rapamycin-induced
autophagy, and co-immunoprecipitation experiments showed that Noxa
abolishes the inhibitory effect of Mcl-1 on Beclin-1, promoting autophagy.
In vivo experiments showed that rapamycin decreased AB-induced cardiac
hypertrophy in a MEK/ERK dependent manner. Taken together, our results
indicate that rapamycin attenuates cardiac hypertrophy by promoting
autophagy through a mechanism involving the modulation of Noxa and Beclin-1
expression by the MEK/ERK signaling pathway.

Article on a different study:
Elderly mice suffering from age-related heart disease saw a significant
improvement in cardiac function after being treated with the FDA-approved
drug rapamycin for just three months. The research, led by a team of
scientists at the Buck Institute for Research on Aging, shows how rapamycin
impacts mammalian tissues, providing functional insights and possible
benefits for a drug that has been shown to extend the lifespan of mice as
much as 14 percent.

There are implications for human health in the research appearing online in
Aging Cell: heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S.,
claiming nearly 600,000 lives per year.

Researchers at the Mayo Clinic are currently recruiting seniors with
cardiac artery disease for a clinical trial involving low dose treatment
with rapamycin.

Rapamycin is an immunosuppressant drug which can be used to help prevent
organ rejection after transplantation. It is also included in treatment
regimens for some cancers. In this study, rapamycin was added to the diets
of mice that were 24 months old -- the human equivalent of 70 to 75 years
of age. Similar to humans, the aged mice exhibited enlarged hearts, a
general thickening of the heart wall and a reduced efficiency in the hearts
ability to pump blood.

The mice were examined with ultrasound echocardiography before and after
the three-month treatment period -- using metrics closely paralleling those
used in humans. Buck Institute faculty Simon Melov, PhD, the senior author
of the study, said age-related cardiac dysfunction was either slowed or
reversed in the treated mice. "When we measured the efficiency of how the
heart pumps blood, the treated mice showed a remarkable improvement from
where they started. In contrast, the untreated mice saw a general decline
in pumping efficiency at the end of the same three month period," he said.
"This study provides the first evidence that age-related heart dysfunction
can be improved even in late life via appropriate drug treatment," added
Melov, who said the treated mice saw a reduction in heart size, reduced
stress signaling in heart tissues and a reduction in inflammation.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130610132843.htm

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 10:24 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <