[ExI] Everett worlds

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 21:13:20 UTC 2020

Dylan:

Essentially, God--whatever that is--makes every choice at the beginning of
the universe experiment.  These may not be the choices of what does Dave
eat for breakfast on Sunday morning but instead stuff like values of the
fine structure constant and the geometries of special unitary groups.

I find it very hard to believe in individual free will, but I still believe
that my actions are part of a specific experiment that contributes to the
knowledge base of the universe.

In a sense I don't believe that God is implicitly omniscient but rather
that said omniscience comes from the actual structure of reality.  Sort of
like Jorge Luis Borges' infinite hexagonal library (the name of which I
forget.) God only has knowledge of what the being named me does because the
knowledge of my doing of things that a being named me does is completely
immanent within said being (me) and its doings.  The '-science' is right
here, so to speak.  And I think it is literally science in the sense that
all universes are experiments.

For what purpose?  Entertainment perhaps (cf. Hindu concept of Lila or
divine play) or maybe knowledge gathering from a super-reality.  Which
would also have a super-reality gathering knowledge on it through similar
experiments.  I'm a believer in turtles all the way down, I simply don't
see any other way it could work out.  There is no final heaven

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020, 11:02 Dylan Distasio via extropy-chat <