[ExI] World's Largest Chip

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Aug 20 12:25:51 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] World's Largest Chip

A company called "Cerebra" has made the world's largest Microprocessor chip, it contains 850,000 cores and 2.6 Trillion transistors; but it's not going in a laptop anytime soon, it uses 15 KW of power.

World's Largest Chip with 2.6 Trillion 7nm Transistors and 850,000 Cores <https://www.tomshardware.com/news/worlds-biggest-chip-cerebras-7nm-26-trillion-transistors-850000-cores-wafer-scale-engine>

John K Clark

>…But how many millimeters across is it?  What is its surface area and volume?  If it is to be the "largest" chip, these dimensions should be provided.

They do: 46k mm^2.  That dude would be about the size of a salad plate.

Cool!  It would need to be that size to be cool.

I don’t know how it is done in the new days, but in the olden days, all the calculation was done at the core, then all the I/O stuff had to be serially amplified up to the periphery to interface with 5 vdc and the giant meat beasts who supply the power, out in the great unknown, from unfathomable distances, hundreds of meters away.

Most of the power of a chip back then was in I/O.

I was wondering if there was a way to do massively parallel operations with a bunch of cores handing results to each other and not ramping the signal back up to our scale until the endgame.