[ExI] California wildfires some of largest in state history

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 20:50:11 UTC 2020

My father has done controlled burns, 1-2x per year at his work for about 15 years now, and about 8 years traveling all over Florida on burn team.

Now, Florida is of course much wetter, but wetter also usually means the fuel builds up faster.

I don’t know that he’s ever been on a fire which damaged property. In every situation where it was even a worry, they get the FD to proactively hose down the houses.

No property or civilian has ever been hurt during these burns he has worked on, but a few years ago some firefighters cleared out of the wrong valley. They went into their emergency tents but the blaze was much too hot and so they were quite done in the middle by the time the fire had passed.

They changed radio procedures after that (they thought they were in the safe valley but instead had left the safe one to go into the dangerous one on accident), but my mother has never let him go back, and now he is too old.

It could probably just be written into law that burns have some kind of qualified immunity, where they are only liable for damages if there is a clear and flagrant disregard for health and safety.

SR Ballard