[ExI] Free will was: Everett worlds

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 22:07:17 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 2:50 PM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 06:03, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <
>
>> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 12:58 PM John Clark via extropy-chat <

>>> That makes no sense. If there's ANYTHING behind the decision then it's
>>> not random. Random means an effect without a cause.
>>>

>> Truly random *from our perspective and ability to measure it*.  Doesn't
>> mean there isn't a cause behind it, just not a cause that we can see.
>> Which is pretty much what the source of free will, assuming there is one,
>> would have to be.
>>

> Determined means fixed due to prior events, such that if the prior events
> happen the determined event necessarily happens. It is also called caused.
>
> Undetermined means not fixed due to prior events, so that if the prior
> events happen the undetermined event does not necessarily happen. It is
> also called uncaused or random.
>
> “Random” is used in other ways but this is the meaning in physics, and the
> relevant meaning in regard free will.

Yes, and there is stuff that is determined on an absolute basis (from an
external observer's point of view) but appears undetermined from the
perspective of anyone within a given system (such as, in this case, us).
Is there a word or short phrase for that?