[ExI] Dodged the bullet maybe

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 18:10:59 UTC 2020

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 2:57 AM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <

> Furthermore, if the spike-protein from SARS that is only 72.88%
> similar to its corresponding sequence in the bat virus nonetheless
> arose naturally in SARS, then there is no reason to assume that the
> 1378 bp insert that is 70.31% similar to its corresponding sequence in
> the bat virus did not naturally occur as well. The SARS virus was
> thought to have been passaged from bat to civet to human. So the Wuhan
> coronavirus was also likely passaged from bats through some food
> animal in the densely crowded live food market in Wuhan.

That is a fair argument.

For your first part though, I don't know how easily we can interpret those
percentages when we are comparing ~30kbp to ~30kbp similarity percentages
with ~30kbp to ~2kbp percentages.  They don't mean the same thing, no?