[ExI] The world would be so much better if everyone knows everything

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 01:01:42 UTC 2020

will wrote:  We should live in close-knit communes where children are
raised jointly, people make their own food and energy, and art and
scientific innovation are produced within.

Ah yes, the thinking man's Eden.  I think it would work only with smart
people, but making their own food and energy would take a lot of time away
from intellectual creativity and research.  There are some things that need
to be outsourced.

And people are doing the opposite:  moving away from the countryside and
into the cities where growing food is impossible in quantity.  But I would
love to live in such a place as you describe, where I can garden without
having to do all the weeding, and intellectual companionship is close by.
That said, I think the history of the successes and failures of communes is
pretty dismal.

bill w

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 6:34 PM Will Steinberg via extropy-chat <