[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 18:08:23 UTC 2020

Your exact assertions are the same ones I immediately think of, and I'll be
honest, I still don't grok Brent's arguments despite all the effort
expended.   Maybe I haven't spent enough time on it yet, but I still don't
buy this argument of qualia being at the neurotransmitter level as
physical, irreducible qualities (apologies if I am misrepresenting the
argument).

I'm red/green color blind due to differences in my rods/cones in my eyes
compared to others.  Although I clearly know some shades of red/green (i.e.
have no trouble with stop lights regardless of placement of the red/green)
, but there are some shades that look indistinguishable to me despite the
fact I know other people can distinguish them.

What does this say about the qualia for red and green?  I assume the
argument is going to be that the processing is downstream of vision and I
still have true red/green qualia based on neurotransmitter interactions.

I remain convinced that if you were able to swap out every single neuron
with a true approximation of the signalling going on in physical wetware
(let's pretend there is a mechanical neuron that properly accepts
signalling from various neurotransmitters and passes those signals on via
some means (chemical or electrical) to other neurons original or replaced)
that not only would the person be unaware of it happening one neuron at a
time, but at the end of the process, they would not be any different than
they were other than operating on a different substrate.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 12:15 PM Will Steinberg via extropy-chat <