[ExI] Happy 2020, and welcome to the magic twenties

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Jan 4 13:46:27 UTC 2020

> From:
> William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
> Date:
> 31/12/2019, 19:54
>
> To:
> ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>

> Just what is it that anyone here sees as good reasons to fight a major
> war? Yes, you can come up with thousands of 'if'scenarios. I want
> reasons that exist right now.  bill w

The conflict between the two main world-views characterised by (mainly,
but not exclusively, and not strictly) these words:

Progressive, libertarian (as in "Social Libertarian" rather than the
economic type. (I know that's a problematic word for americans)),
pro-rationality, anti-superstition, curious, optimistic, tolerant,
supportive of individual freedom of choice, happy.

vs.

Conservative, controlling, pro-superstition, anti-rationality,
unquestioning, pessimistic, intolerant, dismissive of individual freedom
of choice, angry.

I can't really see any compromise or common ground between these two
general world-views, so they are, and probably always will be, at war.
What form the war takes, though, is something that changes all the time.
I don't think it will lead to a shooting war. At least not very often.

Ben Zaiboc