[ExI] Happy 2020, and welcome to the magic twenties

Bill Hibbard hibbard at wisc.edu
Sat Jan 4 16:01:42 UTC 2020

> Progressive, libertarian (as in "Social Libertarian" rather than the
> economic type. (I know that's a problematic word for americans)),
> pro-rationality, anti-superstition, curious, optimistic, tolerant,
> supportive of individual freedom of choice, happy.
>
> vs.
>
> Conservative, controlling, pro-superstition, anti-rationality,
> unquestioning, pessimistic, intolerant, dismissive of individual freedom
> of choice, angry.

"If only it were so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere
  insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to
  separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line
  dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being.
  And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
     - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Compassion is the root of the progressive desire to
make society more equitable and just. But so often
that leads to a lack of compassion towards people
who are seen as barriers to equity and justice. As
in Solzhenitsyn's Russia, China, etc.