[ExI] your big chance

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 23:48:48 UTC 2020

As you’ve used the phrase below, it appears to me you don’t understand it. In classical liberal theory, consent of the governed was used to justify the state as well as a standard by which to judge overall state policy. However, the problem with government by consent is what happens when either consent isn’t given or is removed. (Classical liberals differ in how they deal with this, though usually they opted for some form of tacit consent and restricting removal of consent to extreme cases like tyranny. But a libertarian approach to consent would mean consent would have to be expressed (not tacit) and should be fairly easy to remove and not face any severe penalties for either not consenting or for removing consent.)

Your statements below seem to presume that consent of the governed is merely something one must do either to avoid “living in the woods” or to avoid getting into legal trouble (presumably, fined, arrested, jailed, exiled, or maybe executed). This seems a very strange — which is to say wrong — approach to consent. It’s sort of like telling someone “consent to sex or the rapist might beat you up, and no one wants that.”

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst