[ExI] ligo results suggest two different types of neutron star mergers

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 12:27:11 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 8:19 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

*> it starts right out with an obvious mistake*

I'm glad to hear you say that, I thought I was the only one confused by
that article. I could be wrong but what I think that badly written story
was trying to say is that after the merger the massive object stuck around
as a Neutron Star for several milliseconds before collapsing into a Black
Hole. If that is indeed what it was trying to say, and it may not be,  that
would be surprising because Neutron Star theory says anything more than 2.7
solar masses should immediately collapse into a Black Hole even if it's
spinning very fast,  2.2 if it's not spinning at all.

 John K Clark