[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Tue Jan 21 09:35:22 UTC 2020

On 20/01/2020 19:32, Brent Allsop wrote:

> OK very good points. So, let me see if I can address these good points
> in the way I’m saying things.
>
> If you do a neuro substitution from redness physics to greenness
> physics, (and visa versa) that would be possible if, in one step, you
> replaced all the glutamate being presented to the binding neuron
> (including any possible memory of glutamates colorness property) with
> glycine and your memory of glycine's colorness property, that would be
> possible as i've pointed out many times.
>
> But, still you must include this binding neuron (or something that
> performs this required functionality) in your thought experiment,
> otherwise composite computationally bound elemental physical qualities
> like redness and greenness aren’t possible.  And also, this same
> binding mechanism must be able to connect a pre inverted system, with
> a post inverted system, so that you can see that redness and grenness
> are inverted.

Brent, I think the biggest problem here /is/ the way you're saying
things. A way that, as I've already demonstrated, cannot possibly
reflect reality. As far as I know.

You acknowledged my argument ("availability argument") as a good one,
but failed to respond to my reply, saying I think the argument
demolishes the idea of molecules being able to represent (or contain, or
whatever) qualia. My question "I've falsified the theory, wouldn't you
say?", was never answered. And now you continue to talk about glutamate
and glycine, etc., and 'physical rednesss' being an 'elemental quality'.
So I can only assume your answer is "No".

Obviously, if there's something wrong with my argument, I'd like to know
what it is, so please tell me!

Unless you can show my argument to be wrong, you can't continue to talk
in these terms. Well, you can, of course, but how can you expect anyone
to take you seriously?

So, please, either falsify my argument or stop talking about molecules
like glycine having a 'colourness property', which my argument shows is
impossible.

--
Ben Zaiboc