[ExI] difficult (?) puzzle

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 20:09:03 UTC 2020

On Jul 8, 2020, at 8:08 AM, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> Fanatics are responsible for all of it:  tearing down statues, taking names off of buildings and so on.  It is black and white thinking.  If Jefferson kept a slave then he is a bad person who has utterly no qualities we want to emulate.  I predict that cooler heads will prevail after some token things, like moving statues to cemeteries and the like.  For example, Robert E. Lee was a very fine person who let his emotion of loyalty overcome his rational side (a danger for all conservatives, I should add).
> bill w

Except that Jefferson owned hundreds of slaves and bought slaves too. See:

https://www.monticello.org/slavery/slavery-faqs/property/

It seems to me like he might’ve written about the evils of slavery, but he didn’t do much to suffer material discomfort in that regard.

And Robert E. Lee likewise owned at least two hundred slaves and was quite cruel in that capacity. See:

https://apnews.com/afs:Content:9009420680

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at: