[ExI] ring of truth

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jun 2 16:28:05 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] ring of truth

>…I understand that if you follow anarchy as a political philosophy why you might find Spike's use of the term offensive, but his use of it is well understood as a legitimate meaning of the word in the English language:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anarchist

In fact, among the general populace, I would suspect Spike's definition is the only one most people are familiar with…

Ja, thanks for the reminder Dylan and Dave.

There are different brands of anarchist, just as there are very different brands of libertarian or any other label, often very incompatible with each other, sharing the name.  Often the most bitter animosity is between different brands of similarly-named parties (we see that in the Libertarian party.)

I don’t understand the details of anarchism, because I am not an anarchist: I believe a top-level government is beneficial, if it is carefully limited and defined by a constitution.  When I see rioters burning buildings and cars, destroying property, attacking store owners, to me they are committing acts of anarchy, which makes them anarchists (one particular brand.)  I recognize (and know personally) another brand of anarchist who doesn’t do these things.  He believes people will be OK with no top-level government.  He isn’t crazy or deluded, he is not a bad guy at all.  We just disagree on that, perfectly peacefully.  I would consider us friends: he’s a pleasant chap, tolerant of others, as am I.  We just disagree on that topic full stop.

In the USA, there is a thing called a minarchist, with a subset being a minarcho-capitalist.  This is a guy who agrees a central government must exist, to do things like provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, establish justice, secure to ourselves and our posterity the blessings of liberty, you know, the thing.  But a minarcho-capitalist would argue that the heavy lifting in government is done at the state level, because states have more options in how to raise funds than does the Federal government, which really has only the income tax.

 spike