[ExI] Protest

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Jun 10 00:47:42 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] Protest

>…You shifted from what to do with a vandal In a protest situation  like in the video versus everything else. Again, my point was they could handle that particular person without turning him (I’m presuming it was a guy) over to the police…

I disagree.  He needs to be in police custody.  The BLM protestors handing him over to the police is the right thing.   If their protest is that police are brutal only to black suspects, and this sleazy bastard is white, then they would argue he is perfectly safe in police custody.

>…And, once more, if you’re protesting police misconduct it seems painfully ironic to not seek another solution…

Not to me.  The protestors are not vandals.  The protestors do not like vandals.  The protestors do not want to be equated with vandals, they want to distance themselves from vandals.  So… they handed him over.  He is white, so no problem, ja?

>…In fact, they were already there: they stopped him from his act of vandalism…

Good for them.

>…Did they need to do more? Maybe. Perhaps they could’ve told him to leave the area while taking away his hammer and other tools. Perhaps they could’ve photographed him and threatened to dox him of he was caught around the area again.  Do you disagree here?

I do.  Dan, images are everything.  That image of BLM protestors handing the vandal over to the National Guard is a powerful image.  It established their credibility as a protest movement.

>…You really think it was a great idea to turn him over to the police?

I do.

>…You feel there was zero possibility that the police — known for killing people for minor offenses like shoplifting or even just on w whim  — might abuse him?

He is white.  According to BLM point of view, he is safe in police custody.

>…At least you get points here for not bringing up Saul Alinsky. ;)

Regards,  Dan

Give me time Dan, I will think of something.

OK, hmmm, I’m busted on that.  But think about it: the Black Lives Matter movement is about police fearing black people and being more eager to use lethal force.  Well hell, they are right about that.  BLM has a good point.  We get it.

The BLM movement isn’t against policing, it is against police brutality particularly when it involves black people.  Well OK we get that.  but the BLM movement isn’t against policing.  Plenty of them are from areas where they damn well know they need police.  They aren’t arguing that all police are bad.  They aren’t specifically anti-police they are anti-police brutality.  Well, we are too.

At the local BLM rally Sunday, the police chief spoke.  There were a few hecklers in the audience, but these guys were seeing each other’s points of view.  BLM wants peaceful rallies.  They don’t want to fight the cops, they don’t want vandalism, they don’t want looters.  All three of those groups detract from their message.

Handing over the vandal was not only the right thing, it was the most powerful few seconds of video in their favor I have seen to date.