[ExI] What happens to US space programs after November?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jun 13 13:12:44 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] What happens to US space programs after November?

As I see things:

>...1. If Trump wins ...

>...2. If Trump loses...

Oy vey, now ya dun it.

>...3. There's no hope of real bipartisan support for ...

That has been gone some time ago.

>...4. China wins...

Ja.  That has been coming for some time.

>...Did I miss something?

Ja, the role that business plays vs government.  The US government must find
the least efficient way to do any space program because it needs to spread
the contracts over all the states, in order to get senators and
representatives to support it (presidents can make suggestions if they want,
but congress must allocate the funds.)  China doesn't do that: it has a
different form of government.  Private business doesn't do that either: it
finds the most efficient way to get things done.

Last week we saw a privately owned rocket carry two guys to the station in
style and the first stage landed with dignity on its feet.

We have a lotta smart guys, such as Elon Musk and our own Adrian doing
commercialization of space.  They are the future of space.

Governments stand down, let private industry take over.