[ExI] Russians bots at work again?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jun 27 22:48:59 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of SR Ballard via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Russians bots at work again?

>…Spike, you keep “debunking” me by saying that things are accessories or not accessories. However, by doing that you ignore the fact that *I* am not disagreeing with you, merely describing the facts as I see them.

For many non-educated on gun topics, an “accessory” is an indispensable part of the “gun”.

I bet money that if you showed someone who wants to ban “assault rifles” an AR-15 with a black stock and a scope on it, and another one with a wood stock and no scope, they would label one as an “assault rifle” and the other as fine, as long as you don’t tell people they’re both AR-15s.

People have an emotional fear of “assault rifles”, due to school and workplace shootings, not data. I believe the data would indicate that the majority of firearm violence in the US is perpetrated using pistols/handguns.

SR Ballard

Hi SR, my intention is not to debunk you for you are right on, and one who comes across as someone who knows the topic, certainly better than the people making law on the subject.

By far most crime, violence, workplace shootings, school shootings, mass murder, all of the bad stuff is done with handguns, for a very clear reason: they can be hidden under clothing.  So, just ban handguns, crime goes away, magic.  Or rather it would go away if criminals paid any attention to laws.

Yet our helpful legislators never just propose banning handguns.  They choose to ban something which doesn’t solve anything because it isn’t the weapons used in crime.

We can go one step further: the ban on the AR-15 is sexist in a way, because it is by far the most popular rifle with women (other than the ubiquitous .22 rimfire.)  The reason for this is clear to me: they kick a lot less than their larger bore counterparts.  The adjustable stock allows the smaller shooter to set it up comfortably, the ammo costs less than the larger bore counterpart, everything is smaller and lighter.

But we can go one step further and ask if there are any reasons why the AR-15 is specifically popular with the teenage female shooter, and I have an answer for that one.  If a teenage girl dreams of joining the marines or Navy Seals or any special forces ground assault team, perhaps the best combat job would be sharpshooter, for the sharpshooters stay back in safer zones to cover her comrades.  In order to qualify for that job a candidate must already be an expert marksman right up front, in order to win the competitions.  So… she takes up the sport in her young teens.

As with any sport, if one starts young, one gets way better than those who take it up later.  She turns 18, joins Marines already an expert markman perhaps with competition medals already around her neck, she wins competition, gets chosen for sharpshooter school, soon has three stripes on the sleeve, has a good career, retires at age 38 with a pension and plenty of time to take up something else.

SR, my apologies if I came across as disagreeing with anything you wrote.  That was not my intention.

spike

On Jun 27, 2020, at 2:10 PM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> On Behalf Of SR Ballard via extropy-chat

>…These features seem to be “assault”:

OK thanks SR, we can run with this ball.

The legislation was aimed at the most popular rifle sold in America today, the AR-15.  When the California assault rifle ban legislation came out it was clear enough they were trying to describe the AR-15.  If so, let us look at the list:

>…- black

Many AR-15s are black, but they don’t need to be.  Many non-AR-15s are black, but are not the target of the legislation.  In our world today, they definitely do not want to issue a blanket ban on black.

>…- plastic stick

I think you meant stock, but the AR-15 doesn’t necessarily have a plastic stock.  The stock on those is an accessory.

>…- camo pattern

Ja, it might have that or might not.  How you paint your rifle is your own business.

>…- scope

Any rifle might or might not have one.  My aged .22 rimfire bolt action has one.  A scope is an accessory.

>…- magazine higher than 20

Another accessory.

>…- fully automatic

Those are functionally illegal.  You can get one legally if you are rich and patient.

>…- calibers above .308

Ja, that doesn’t apply to the real target, the AR-15 which is a .223 caliber.

>…- side feeding

Sure.  Those are ammo-belt style used in larger caliber fixed placement systems, quite rare for amateurs, for you could fire thru a hundred bucks worth of ammo in a few seconds.

>…- hollow point

That is a feature of the ammo, not the rifle.

https://www.usa-gun-shop.com/6-best-50-bmg-rifles-for-sale-in-2019/

>…Please note that in the term “assault rifle” assault means “tactical”, or “reminiscent of military equipment”, rather than referring to to the crime “assault/battery”.

SR Ballard

I am with you there.  The legislators were looking for ways to talk around their real intent, which is to attack the industry at its most popular point.

My drive here is to point out that legislators do not write legislation.  They don’t even read it unless and until it passes.  They hire professionals to write legislation.

They couldn’t say “no AR-15” for that would single out a particular business, the Armalite Corporation, which would sue the legislature out of business.  It would be the equivalent of banning Maytag washer, which would then suggest they were in the pockets of Whirlpool.

Interviews with the legislators after the passage of the ban demonstrated they had no idea what they had just voted on.