[ExI] competition markshumanship

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 20:23:21 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 2:05 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> It is likely that a great marksperson has great vision and that is genetic.

Decent vision is required, not great. I was on the rifle team in college.
We shot .22 rifles in three positions at 50'. Prone (laying down) is the
most stable and easiest. Perfect scores, where the 10-ring is a dot, are
common--expected at the collegiate level. Kneeling is less stable and
perfect scores are much less common. Standing is the hardest. I don't think
that a perfect score has been achieved. Shooting very well requires, as I
said, good eyesight, breathing control, low pulse, the ability to find a
stable position and maintain it, and, probably the biggest factor at the
top levels, is being able to stay calm and focused.

> I assume that it does not take long to judge the effect of the wind on a
> bullet.

Au contraire. Short ranges (50-100 yards) aren't too bad, but wind
direction can vary along the path to the target.

-Dave