[ExI] The COVID-19 death rate is 3.4%

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sat Mar 7 05:40:54 UTC 2020

Quoting SR Ballard:

> I?m not panicking YET, but in my metro area they accidentally let
> out a lady who tested positive. She visited a grocery store 500m for
> me on the busiest day of business we have seen in the last 6 months.
> RIP.

To quote Douglas Adams, "Don't panic!"

Instead, learn:

http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/id/e53946e2-c6c4-41e9-9a9b-fea8db1a8f51

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762130?guestAccessKey=bdcca6fa-a48c-4028-8406-7f3d04a3e932&utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=022420

Yes, it is the Chinese CDC but it is still data. Check out table 1 of
the first link. If you are under 50 your mortality rate is under 1%
unless you have some pretty severe comorbidities. If I was a young
whippersnapper, then I would consider catching it deliberately, taking
two weeks of sick leave, and playing video games while ordering out.
After that, you should retain lifelong immunity. Call it a jungle
vaccination.

The most at risk are those over 80 who have a CFR of about 15%. If I
were over 60, I would avoid crowds and practice not touching my face
when out in public until immediately after I had washed them for 20
seconds with soap and water. Carry hand sanitizer and use it often. If
you learn how to use and dispose of them correctly, personal
protective gear like goggles or safety glasses a respirator or N-95
disposable masks would be helpful. But in a pinch if confronted with
the unwashed masses, I would use a clean handkerchief or paper towel
or anything else handy to cover my nose and mouth and try to quickly
do my business.

I hope that helps.

Stuart LaForge

"Fear is the mind-killer." -Frank Herbert
"We have nothing to fear but fear itself." -Franklin D. Roosevelt
"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is
the time to understand more so that we may fear less."- Marie Curie