[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 198, Issue 16

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Mar 13 14:45:11 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
> On Behalf Of Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat

>...Short of having a superabundance of test kits (and perhaps not even
then, given how a test is likely to work (detecting antibodies, which take
time to develop in an infected person)), I doubt if there is any way anyone
can know how widespread this virus is. The thing that no-one seems to be
talking about is the significance of the 14-day latency period. How can you
track something when you're always 14 days behind it?... Ben Zaiboc

That problem persists even with a superabundance of test kits.  Reason:
citizens are groomed to the notion that health care is their right and there
should be no market controls.  As soon as that is in place, everyone wants a
test every two weeks.  Then every week.  Then every time junior sniffles or
coughs.

Assume widespread testing, the negative-testers mistakenly believe they are
immune, subsequently catch the virus, spread it everywhere believing that
since they have tested negative they will stay negative.

Rafal is a doctor.  He likely has some stories to tell about patients who
see all the correct facts and somehow jump to stunningly illogical
conclusions.

I agree with Ben, perhaps more than Ben agrees with Ben.  Testing will not
solve this problem, and may make it worse.