[ExI] viruses

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 12:07:05 UTC 2020

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 5:16 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> It is my understanding that your body kills a virus or the virus kills
> your body.  There is only symptomatic treatment, right? So just how is
> corona going to overwhelm our health system?  People will seek treatment

There is no direct treatment for the virus itself but you can treat the
symptoms and keep the person alive long enough for their immune system to
kill the virus. But to do that you need ventilators because you can't live
for long if you can't breathe. Even without financial assistance from the
Federal Government, or organizational help, or even moral support, Elon
Musk offered to start making ventilators. Musk is rich but I don't know how
many ventilators he can make before he goes broke. If the government had
issued a contract to Musk in January his factories would be churning out
ventilators right now, but in January Trump was insisting the virus was
just a Democratic Hoax.

Musk said:

*"Tesla makes cars with sophisticated heating, ventilation and air
conditioning systems. SpaceX makes spacecraft with life support systems.
Ventilators are not difficult, but cannot be produced instantly." *

Elon Musk offers to make ventilators for coronavirus patients
<https://www.space.com/elon-musk-ventilators-coronavirus-pandemic.html>

John K Clark