[ExI] social distancing, was: RE: > Taiwan is standing strong

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 15:46:41 UTC 2020

There are many problems with standardized testing, not the least of which
is that many people don't agree with the contents.  Another is that the
test gets out and so you have to make a new one frequently.  Adrian had
some excellent ideas on how to stop cheating, but I think meeting with a
proctor is all I would accept as valid.

If a person applies to , say, Boeing, would Boeing accept their credentials
or would they administer a test of their own to find out the abilities of
the candidate?

Some schools are getting a bit wary.  It used to be that taking the law
exam and passing it was good enough to get certified as a lawyer.  Not
here.  Legislature passed a law saying that you had to have a law degree
from some college.  Abe LIncoln would not have made it that way, as he was
too poor to afford college.  Traditional colleges are going to be, are in,
a big fight to stay alive.

What are the technical colleges going to do if you can 'learn it just any
way', take a standardized test, and get a degree and get hired?  I am
assuming that there is plenty online to help a student understand some math
or engineering concept - he doesn't need to go to a sit-down classroom to
get help - mostly unpaid help.  Paid tutors are available now I think,
online.

bill w

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:32 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <