[ExI] amendment I

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 21:24:30 UTC 2020

Buy the gun now if you think it is the right decision (not suggesting you
panic however).   I say this because I've seen first hand them just remove
the ability to do so in CT until further notice.  I pussyfooted around with
waiting to get one, and while I did go in Saturday to a gun shop that had
remaining stock, I actually decided against it because you should really
fire whatever you are going to buy first to see how it suits you, and I
didn't have the opportunity.   Making my decision easier was also the fact
that there was no ammo left!   I still have a rifle in the house so I'm not
completely unprotected, but I was looking to get a handgun.

A few additional comments:
1) Ammo if you can find it, will be A LOT more expensive than it was a week
or two ago.   9mm ammo went from $180/1000 to $300/1000 at the local shop
over the course of a week before it all sold out.  The guy told me they are
making ammo 24 hours a day now with 3 full shifts at the manufacturers
(normally a 1-2 shift day) and still can't meet demand.

2)  I don't know your familiarity with guns, but PLEASE learn how to
operate one safely before buying one.   You rarely get a do-over with a
gun.  I won't harp on this too much since I don't know your background, but
if you've never fired one, PLEASE be careful.

3)  If you have the ability, please go to a range and rent a number to try
first (with instruction), please do so before buying anything.   It will
help you answer a lot of questions you may have.

Apologies if you already knew all this stuff.  I think it is better to be
prepared and never need to use a gun, than to not have one when you need
it.  I regret not being better about it myself earlier in this unfolding
crisis, and not going to fire weapons at the range while I still had time.
 Again though, I'm not encouraging panic.  If I was actually that worried
about this situation, I would have bought one of the ones I looked at
Saturday, as they both looked and felt great, but I wanted to fire them
before deciding even knowing I probably won't be able to for at least a
month.

Personally, I think the US is at the far right of the curve by June 1st in
terms of this virus still being an issue.   I'm more worried about the
massive amount of economic damage being done right now by virus
countermeasures, but that's probably a topic for another thread.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 5:09 PM SR Ballard via extropy-chat <