[ExI] Evolution - 'Nature versus Nurture', but random noise as well

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 13:34:17 UTC 2020

Both. It's always both, never** just one or the other (or even 'mostly' one
or the other)"? That would be a good start.  Asking if 'Nature' is more
important than 'Nurture' is like asking "Is
Warp more important than Weft?". Ben

And someone is going to say: " But some fabrics are wider than they are
long and vice versa.  Surely genes have more to do with the shape of the
kidneys than how much I know about Henry VIII even though both are always
essential."

And I cannot deny that.  There was an excellent book of a few years ago
"What you can change, and what you can't."  Martin Seligman.  Short of just
how epigenetics works ;and what can change what, we cannot change our genes
in major ways - agreed?  And unless environment is extreme, one way or
another, behaviors, structures of bones, etc. will fall into a certain
range with a certain average and so on.

Just saying it's both is just not an answer.  When we talk about science to
the layperson I think we have to lie a bit, exaggerate a bit, and so on -
in other words, not really exact answers, but good enough for who they are
for.  If they want to take several courses in the area they will learn
differently.  No harm done.

bill w

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 7:52 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <