[ExI] shining example and COVID-19

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 19:01:04 UTC 2020

Now we are getting down to details.  Your point about IQ is well-founded.
It is not a totally pure factor.  I don't know about having one set of
genes interfering with another set, but you could know.

Epigenetics will come first, I think.  Finding out what genes do what
enables us to use Crispr and turn them on or off (or replace them).  A few
conditions do come from just a few genes.  I think cystic fibrosis is one
that could be easily cured.

We could control height with pituitary hormones now, right?  Weight too.  I
don't know why we don't use levothyroxine to raise metabolism rates and get
rid of fat.  (My rate is out of the normal range and kept that way as a
treatment for thyroid cancer.  I have a few side effects,such as no
appetite and dry skin, which pale in comparison to the problems obese
people will have sooner or later.)

I certainly agree about choices.  Parents will have to make them when
choosing the genetics of their children.  If those children decide (at what
age do they get to?) differently and the genetic tools are available, then
that's just what a libertarian would like best of all.  But the parents
have the first say perforce.

We won't live to find out, but I have serious doubts that uploading will
produce an entity indistinguishable from the biological person, or have the
same experiences of life just by stimulating the uploaded person in some
ways.

IQ correlates with more things than anything else, even art talent, though
that correlation is fairly low.  A person with an IQ of 80 can learn to
read music and with the proper dexterity can play in an orchestra - but not
conduct nor write music well.  There may be other things that come to mind
which I would give everyone - long life genes?  Not needed in an upload
environment?

bill w

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 4:10 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <