[ExI] Subject: Boltzmann brains

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun May 3 14:27:51 UTC 2020

This seems to be an unfalsifiable hypothesis.  The theory is that
everything you remember, all data and history and evidence, is a lie forged
by the random coincidence that caused your brain to exist in this moment.
This is a form of the old, "am I really experiencing what I seem to be
experiencing, or is it an illusion of some sort" chain of thought.

While it is true that the only thing you can prove is that you exist -
because you are thinking about the problem, which means there has to be
some thing that is doing that thinking, and the thing that is thinking your
thoughts and having your experiences is you by definition - Occam's Razor
suggests that it is far more likely that the universe as we experience it
is in fact what's going on.  This further suggests that mathematical
convolutions that suggest something else have an error in their logic or
their data.

In this case, "brains just randomly forming and miserably and almost
immediately expiring somewhere in the universe should outnumber galaxies
randomly forming in that universe" seems to be the error.  Specifically,
ignoring the different time scales needed for construction (and its effects
on the likelihood of random assembly) between extremely short-lived
entities that would need near-instant formation - brains forming and almost
immediately expiring - versus extremely long lived entities that can take
much longer to assemble - galaxies.

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 4:34 AM Re Rose via extropy-chat <