[ExI] that's not true!

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon May 11 23:30:37 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] that's not true!

>…When a distinguished, elderly person says that a certain thing that does not contravene the laws of physics will eventually be possible, said person is right, though any associated projections of exactly when (if they are not within the next 2 years) should be taken with a grain of salt.  One should also keep in mind the difference between "possible" and "practical".

>…When such a person says that a certain thing that does not contravene the laws of physics will never be possible, especially when other people are working on that very thing or its precursor capabilities, said person is usually wrong…  Adrian

Hi Adrian, were you at that conference?  As I recall you are one of the guys who has hung out here a long time.

The big stars at that conference were Greg Burch, Anders Sandberg and Sasha Chislenko.  What a treat it was, a privilege I scarcely deserve, to bask in their presence.  Sasha spoke on collaborative filtering, Anders spoke on statistical modeling and the impact of uploading, Greg spoke on the importance of near-term focus.