[ExI] the fun they had

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed May 13 19:29:04 UTC 2020

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 1:05 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

*> There was a short story I read when I was about 10.  It was in a school
> textbook.  Of all the material in all those textbooks, this short story was
> the only thing that stuck in my mind.  I recall it fit entirely on one
> textbook page.  I even remembered enough of the exact wording to find it
> online.*
>
> *In light of the current remote education experiment, I found that story
> remarkable indeed:*
>

> http://teleclass.free.fr/IMG/pdf/The_Fun_They_Had_by_Isaac_Asimov.pdf

I don't remember reading that but I do remember reading another Asimov
story as a kid called "The Feeling Of Power", it's about the top secret
rediscovery of  arithmetic:
The Feeling Of Power
<https://themathlab.com/writings/short%20stories/feeling.htm>

John K Clark