[ExI] Summer weather and COVID-19

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri May 22 18:32:02 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 1:15 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> Politicians do not have any authority to compel people to either stop whining or to get back to work.

>…Nobody worker been sent to the gulag, at least not yet…

Ja.  We have a constitution.  Aren’t you glad we have a constitution?  The anvil wears out the hammers.

>… but Republican…

Campaigning again John?  Here?  Why?

>…politicians want workers fired if they refuse to go back to work…

John, if they refuse to go back to work, they are already the equivalent of fired.  What is the difference, if there are no paychecks coming?  Businesses need people to work them, otherwise the businesses don’t get paid and cannot pay anyone.

>… and getting fired during a pandemic is really scary…

Ja.  Any pandemic is really scary.

>… because in the US if you don't have a job you don't have a health plan…

Ja.  Insurance companies spread their risk across corporations.

>…To make matters worse Republicans…

Campaigning again?  Here?  Why?

>…have threatened to deny unemployment benefits from any worker who refuses to go back to work…

Unemployment benefits are an insurance program.  It cannot support those who fire themselves.  Turns out it cannot support the others either: the system was never set up to handle the load it is under.

>… have also pushed for new laws that prevent any employer from being sued…

Suing employers is a bad idea.  Their risk is already thru the roof.  Employers are our friends.

>… People will remember that and it could make a difference on November 3…

Campaigning again John?  Here?  Why?

>… assuming the election is not canceled by politicians who figure they won't win.  John K Clark

That is why politicians do not have the authority to cancel elections.  New York tried to cancel a party primary, and learned they can’t even do that.  This is ironic in a way, for the party is not obligated to nominate the winning candidate.  The voters were only advising the party on who it wanted.  Even that election could not be canceled.