[ExI] Deficit spending and never admitting you were wrong

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 17:10:49 UTC 2020

I got some of my libertarianism from Heinlein. In one of his novels he says
"We'll feed and take care of your family but if you won't work you can
starve."  It's not just the drug addict that needs help - it's the family
too.  You want to be tough on the addict - fine - will you let his family
starve?  I would not and I think that most libertarians would not.  Status
restored.

Our laws now protect everyone   I never should have said that.  I dunno
what I was thinking.

I have no idea what the addiction recovery rate is.  Depends on the drug, I
am sure.  I am also pretty sure that tens of thousands of homeless people
are addicted and have been in and out of therapy for years and are still
shooting up.  I have no idea what to do with them like the street people in
SF that Spike and I have been discussing.  I do not know what not treating
them like helpless people would be like.  How would you get tough on street
people?  Many of them are cross-addicted as well, and a large percentage
are mentally ill.  Getting tough is no solution to that, whatever that
would mean.

Totally agree about drug prohibition:  good money after bad, or even good
money after good. Has there ever been a bigger federal government failure?

bill w

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 10:46 AM Dave Sill via extropy-chat <