[ExI] Does anybody still think a US dictatorship is impossible?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri May 29 12:07:26 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 8:28 PM Dylan Distasio via extropy-chat <

*> Conflating gutting the 1st amendment with this executive order is
> misguided.   It's not as black and white as that.   Sec 230 as originally
> applied to ISPs protected them because they were not purposefully acting
> like publishers, merely conduits.*

ISPs wouldn't need protection from libel laws if there were no libel laws,
and as a libertarian and a believer in the free market of ideas I don't
think there should be any.

> * > there is a very good chance that based on that legal precedence, the
> SCOTUS will rule against this order in any case. *

With this court??

*  > Even if they don't, it will just mean that Twitter ends up being
> treated like any other publisher such as the NY Times or Washington Post*
> .

That would destroy the internet as we know it. I use Gmail, if it were
treated like the NY Times or Washington Post then Google would have to run
this very Email past their lawyers before you would be allowed to see it.

 John K Clark