[ExI] How do you make new discoveries about what's available on the internet?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 16:13:13 UTC 2020

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 10:55 PM John Grigg via extropy-chat <

> I realize we are all very different people, but what websites do you love
> and recommend to others? And most importantly, how do you stay aware of the
> latest cool websites and things going on within the internet, for not just
> work, but entertainment?

There is no one Web site with all the newest things - save google.com, kind
of, and even that has alternatives.  The key is to consider what kinds of
problems others may have solved and put up for other people to take
advantage of their solution, think what they might have called it (not
brand name, but general description), and then actually go search for those
keywords.  That last step seems to be the most difficult one for many
people, though it should be the simplest (go to your favorite Web search
engine, type in the keywords you've thought of, and click the button to
search).

> It seems like I regularly come across new websites, especially regarding
> pop culture, that are fairly well established but still new to me. But like
> Spike, my favorite haunt is probably Youtube. I remember him once raving
> about how much he enjoyed it.

There is a Web comic, XKCD, where many of its strips are useful commentary
on various aspects of modern Internet-enabled living.  This is an aspect it
has a strip for: https://xkcd.com/1053/ .